Help! My Loved One is an Addict! Dr. Julie Ganschow I. Introduction A. Our story 1. I was in love with an addict
II. Learning the Truth A. I cant believe this is happening 1. Life will never be the same a. Life not being the same doesnt mean it will always be bad and chaotic; it means it will be different.
b. The truth is, life has not been the same for a while now. c. The difference is, now you can identify the reason why. d. Accept what you are dealing with, and that you will grieve and endure suffering in this process. 2. The effects of addiction on loved
ones a. b. c. d. e.
Insomnia Fear Worry Anxiety Decreased concentration, leading to problems at work or school
f. Overeating etc. g. Emotionally or physically Check out h. Develop health problems 1) Headaches 2) Digestive problems 3) High blood pressure 4) Emotional disturbances
3. The addict causes problems a. Adage: Addicts don't take relationshipsthey take hostages! b. Problems between addict and parents c. Problems between addict and siblings d. Problems between husband and wife
e. Problems with addict in social settings, extended family gatherings f. Problems between addict and employer III. Character Traits of An Addict A. Hard Truths to Accept
1. The addict is a liar a. Addicts tell lies more often than they tell the truth. b. Addicts will say anything to hide or maintain their addiction c. They lie to everyone, including themselves.
2. The addict is often a criminal a. Addicts resort to crime to pay for their habit. b. A person who drives drunk or high is breaking the law c. Using recreational drugs including marijuana is still a crime in most states. d. Abusing prescription pain killers is a crime
e. Taking someone else's prescription medication - even if it comes from the family medicine cabinet - is a violation of both federal and state laws. f. Being violent and abusive is also against the law. g. Don't feel guilty if you have to call the police to restore order in your home or to protect your loved one. h. Don't make threats you don't intend to carry out
B. You cannot fix this 1. The addict's life becomes all about self-gratification meeting the felt needs of excitement, pain relief, escape, or comfort. 2. The pursuit of self-gratification becomes all- consuming. 3. We consider attaching the label addict when a persons
desires have become idols. IV. Addiction is A Spiritual Problem A. Why Stop It Will Not Work 1. Addicted persons depend on alcohol (or drugs) to have a
good time or to feel good. 2. Addicted persons will exhibit unreasonable anger with those who interrupt access to their alcohol or drugs. 3. Addiction is progressive and trends to always get worse. Proverbs 23:2021, 2935 B. The heart of addiction
1. Addiction is a worship disorder called Idolatry. 2. Idolatry - when you are willing to sin to get what you want a. Focus on thoughts, beliefs, and desires leaves no room for worship of God. b. Gratifying self is all that comes to matter. 3. The addict is an idolater. He has a heart/soul problem,
not a medical or psychological problem. 4. The Heart of Drunkenness 5. The Heart of Drug Abuse C. Why stop it will not work
1. Addiction is a sin- a spiritual disease that we have inherited, and it only has one remedy Repentance through the GOSPEL. a. The addict must desire to serve Him only b. The addict must deny the urge to idolize things and people drugs and alcohol.
c. d. e. f. The addict must begin to admit idolatry exists in the heart. Identify what he wants that is being denied.
Identify whether the desire is biblical Place those wants and desires on the altar of sacrifice to God. V. You Cant Fix This A. But Here Is What You Can Do
1. Do not enable your loved one a. Adage: We tell people how to treat us by what we will and will not tolerate. b. Do not enable (allow, permit, aid, assist, facilitate, make possible) the addict to get high or drunk. 2. Implement boundaries to detach yourself financially from
your addicted loved one. a. Do not provide vehicles, insurance funding, or tuition to addicted persons. b. Do not give money to your addicted loved one. c. Set a time frame to detach residentially from your unrepentant addicted loved one. Romans 8:2829; James 1:216
3. Get help for yourself and your family a. Seek support for yourself from a solid Christian friend or biblical counselor. b. Implement a Biblical intervention technique Matthew 18:1518; Romans 1:1832
c. Understand your addict or alcoholic loved one may choose to follow their idolatry to deathphysical and/or spiritual d. Do not spar or argue with your addicted loved one while they are high or under the influence 1) Confront the problem behavior only (Attack the problemnot the person)
e. Do not accept addict or alcoholic bartering to swap one euphoria idol for another 1) cross addiction Mark 9:4350 f. Leave Christian counseling literature that confronts addictions on counters, table or in plain sight in your home.
You can reach Julie at: [email protected] Daily blog on biblical counseling issues for women: www.bc4women.org
The relief device disk shall be sized to at a minimum handle the free convection heat transfer from the jacket wall to cold helium vapor in the event of a helium large leak/catastrophic failure of a line. A minimum heat...
The induction of MCP-1, interleukin-8 and PAI-I observed for efavirenz did not occur with L/r (4 m M) treatment. HGF and IL-6 were induced to a similar extent in response to L/r and to efavirenz. L/r caused minor but significant...
Because Microsoft must respond to changing market conditions, it should not be interpreted to be a commitment on the part of Microsoft, and Microsoft cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information provided after the date of this presentation. MICROSOFT MAKES...
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Made by . Jaeyoung Park. Jason Choi. Paraphrase: Mariner can pray and sleep again. Exhausted from curse and thirst, he falls a sleep and credits his sleep to Mary Queen. He wanted to drink...
و هناك كلمات لها نفس التهجئة و تختلف في النطق القائمة الرئيسية been كان binثنائي beerبيرة bierتابوت berryحبة bury يدفن berthمرسى birth ميلاد billedمعلن build يبنى bightأنشوطة biteعضة byteبايت blewنفخ blue أزرق boarخنزير بري ...
All States allow juveniles to be tried as adults in criminal court under certain circumstances. New laws have had a dramatic impact on sentencing for serious or violent juvenile offenders. Juvenile Justice Early History Early in U.S. history, children who...
How to write a "hamburger" paragraph Click on me to learn about good paragraphs! The Topic Sentence (Top Bun) Very first sentence of your paragraph. Always needs to be indented. States what your paragraph is going to be about. There...
Active ENGO community which is effectively utilising domestic law to secure compliance with EU Environmental Law . Assisted by the 'special costs rules' contained in s.50B of the PDA 2000 & s.3 of the EMPA 2o11. Aarhus Convention is a...
Ready to download the document? Go ahead and hit continue!